Reading Circle Pages

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Prince's party & a new video on Blood Colony

This year's Book Expo in Los Angeles was a truly memorable experience--mostly because Steve and I were invited to Atria publisher Judith Curr's famed party at Prince's house! I'd never had the privilege of watching this amazing artist perform live, and I was at the man's house, close enough to see his fingers on his guitar strings as he played "Purple Rain."

What a national treasure. Thank you for allowing us to share your space, sweet Prince.

(No, I did not see P. Diddy and Cameron Diaz. Frankly, once I noticed the waiting stage in the backyard, I simply planted myself there and waited for Prince to play. I could have been standing between Stallone and Dr. Phil, who were both there, and I wouldn't have noticed. I did, however, have the chance to talk to the lovely and brilliant Zane. We talked about her film project, Addicted, which is underway at Lionsgate. A success for one is a success for all. Zane is a one-woman dynamo, and I wish her nothing but good fortune!)

Peak moment: Every second of Prince's set.

Peak moment before his set: When the deejay played Michael Jackson's "Rock With You." At Prince's house! The term I have coined is "Disco Euphoria." Best...Party...EVER.

I left Prince a copy of Joplin's Ghost. I hope he'll read it...or just touch it.

Somehow, I did manage to pull off a coherent interview the next morning with Troy Johnson of the African-American Literature Book Club (AALBC.com), which is posted below from YouTube.
Thanks, Troy! You did a terrific job.

Hope you enjoy it...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!!!!! Thank you so much for bringing Fana, Dawit & Jessica back. I am SO EXCITED to get my copy of Blood Colony. YOU ARE MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!!! That is a testimony EVERYONE in my family can attest to. The only books of yours I haven't read are The Black Rose & Freedom in the Family. And, that's only because I haven't been able to find them in print. Well I have, but only used copies. I don't like used books. Both my "My Soul to Keep" & Living Blood books were autographed by you when you visited Oakland, CA a few years back. I could go on & on about how much I love you & your work. Keep writing these novels that make my Soul stir. YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!